|By Bob Gourley||
|November 26, 2012 05:37 PM EST||
- How To Enable 4G LTE On The Google Nexus 4 - TechCrunch has an excellent guide on how to enable LTE on the Nexus 4. However, this is only workable for Canadian and T-Mobile LTE networks. While many have bemoaned the lack of LTE in the Nexus 4, I do not believe it to be the concern that everyone is making it. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Thanksgiving day was a record-breaker for Instagram - Instagram is reporting that over 10M Thanksgiving tagged or themed photos were posted last Thursday. This broke down to up to 226 photos per second tagged as such. The more impressive fact is that the service never dropped and users were able to continue to post. Via BetaNews, more here.
- LG prepping Optimus G2 with 5-inch display for May launch? - It appears that LG is getting ready for the Optimus G2 to hit carriers in May. The phone is rumored to have a 1080p, 5″ screen, which puts it directly competing with the HTC Droid DNA. While the Optimus G is currently one of the best Android smartphones on the market (and the backbone for the Nexus 4). Via Phandroid, more here.
- Apple catching iPhone 5 demand for holidays: ship times start dropping to just 1 week - Apple’s manufacturing efforts have been unable to meet demand, but it appears either Foxconn employees are figuring out how to put together the device, or Apple has geared up production for the holiday season. The iPhone 5 should sell extremely well throughout the holiday season. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Samsung sells 5 million Galaxy Note 2 units - The original Galaxy Note sold over 10M, and now the Galaxy Note 2 has already sold 5M. Without a doubt, there is a market for the “Phablet” and it is big and profitable. The Note 2 is an improvement over the original. It’s also possible that we will start to see competitors creating Note knockoffs. Via Phandroid, more here.
- Google Voice Finally Gets Updated for iOS 6 - The Google Voice App has finally been updated to iOS 6. It appears that the “fracturing” which was caused by the different resolution of iPhone 5, is causing far greater ripples than first assumed. Google Voice is one of my favorite Google innovations, and I can’t imagine how bad the lack of the app was for some iOS users. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Nexus 4′s Glass Back, the Worst Idea Since the Last Phone With a Glass Back - The Nexus 4 is having a rough first few months. There have been numerous issues with Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean+), including the lack of the month December. As well, it appears that the glass back of the device is causing many users much consternation. As the author points out, the glass back of the iPhone 4/4s has spawned an economy dedicated to just replacing broken phone backs. While I doubt we’ll see the same for the Nexus 4, it is still amazing that an OEM and Google decided a glass back was a good idea. Via Droid-Life, more here.
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 320
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,545
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,671
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 876
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,418
The paradigm has shifted. A Gartner survey shows that 43% of organizations are using or plan to implement the Internet of Things in 2016. However, not just a handful of companies are still using the old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways, unaware of the critical barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can you become a winner? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will present a methodical approach to guide the holistic adoption and enablement of IoT implementations. This ov...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,548
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 848
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 983
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 795
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 777
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,493
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 29, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,657
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,239
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 496
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,426
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
Apr. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,120
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,005
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 857