|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- This holiday season, consumers are thinking e-tail. In a record-breaking week, millions of shoppers went online to get a head start on their holiday shopping and take advantage of the sales. Today, Slice released exclusive data highlighting the major trends from the first big holiday sales push in 2012. From major trends among big-box retailers to the hottest-selling tablets, Slice's data provides the most comprehensive look at online retail trends this holiday season.
Since launching in 2011, Slice has tracked more than 45 million purchases. Because Slice aggregates data across all online retailers, the company has unique insight into the e-commerce landscape. Slice has the inside scoop on the what, where and how much of online shopping. With online sales totaling nearly $1.5 billion on Cyber Monday alone (via comScore's latest report), it's clear that holiday shoppers are increasingly turning online. Curious to see which retailers and products came out on top, Slice took a look at the trends that emerged in the first two weeks of the holiday shopping season.
- Top 5 Black Friday merchants. One-day sales from retailers like Apple drove holiday shoppers online in record-breaking numbers. Below is the list of the top five retailers on Black Friday, with the average order sizes and market shares included:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 32 percent market share, up from 26 percent in 2011
2. Macy's - $109 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $59 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
4. Apple - $520 average order size; 5 percent market share, down from 16 percent in 2011
5. Walmart - $99 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
- Top 5 Cyber Monday merchants. Not surprisingly, Amazon dominated online sales on Cyber Monday -- offering a host of offers, including a sale on Kindle Fires. Brick-and-mortar stores that offered Black Friday online sales dropped rank throughout the holiday weekend. Notably, Sears fell from the seventh to the 47th most popular shopping destination from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Below are Cyber Monday's top five retailers:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 40 percent market share, up from 31 percent in 2011
2. Walmart - $120 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $51 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
4. Newegg - $126 average order size; 3 percent market share, down from 6 percent in 2011
5. Macy's - $124 average order size; 2 percent market share, up from 1 percent in 2011
- Walmart sales climb, Apple's drop. Online retail sales by merchant were largely consistent throughout the weekend, with a few notable exceptions. Owing perhaps to Black Friday-only offers, Apple's average order size dropped from $520 on Friday to $308 on Cyber Monday -- bringing the technology giant down from the fourth to the seventh most shopped-at online retailer. Walmart, on the other hand, began the holiday weekend as the fifth most popular online retailer on Black Friday (with a $99 average order size). The big-box retailer climbed the ranks on Saturday and Sunday, ultimately claiming the number two spot on Cyber Monday. Walmart's average order size on Cyber Monday rose to $116. In the week following Cyber Monday, however, Walmart's average online order size dropped back down -- ending the month at $88.
- Post-Cyber Monday, Toys R Us sales soar. While most online retailers experienced a drop in order size following Cyber Monday, Toys R Us actually experienced its biggest shopping day on the following Thursday -- peaking with an average order size of $208. The rest of the week saw strong sales for the toy retailer as well, averaging $127 per order on the Tuesday after Cyber Monday (Cyber Monday order sizes averaged at $166). Toys R Us was one of several retailers (Target and Walmart also included) to offer extended Cyber Monday deals. Beginning on Sunday, November 25, ToysRUs.com featured limited supply, online-only deals throughout the week.
- QVC rakes in weekend shoppers. While displaying strong sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, QVC saw a huge spike in online sales on the Saturday and Sunday in between. On Black Friday, average order sizes came in at $202 for the home shopping network. Average order sizes then jumped up to $250 on Saturday before dropping back down to $150 that Sunday and $131 on Cyber Monday. QVC was the only retailer in the top ten to spike in online sales on the Saturday after Black Friday. Perhaps a result of QVC's "Better Than Black Friday" offers, QVC came in as the fifth most shopped-at online retailer on Saturday, November 24.
- Tablet sales. Tablets are among the hottest selling items this holiday season, with the most popular models coming from Amazon and Apple. During Thanksgiving weekend, the new iPads (mini and Retina) had a slight edge over Kindle Fire HDs -- selling 11:9. However, Amazon's tablet suite dominated the market, with the full line of Kindle Fire models winning out nearly 4:1 (74 percent) over iPad mini, iPad Retina and iPad 2 sales.
"The holiday season is when consumers tend to shop the most online -- usually November and December represent on average 38 percent of their annual online spend," said Scott Brady, CEO and co-founder of Slice. "And retailers have certainly taken note this season, capitalizing on this trend with enticing new online-only and mobile offers. The data shows a strong start to the holiday shopping season, and now with Green Monday sales from big name retailers like Newegg, Macy's, eBay, and Walmart, we can expect to see strong online sales continue throughout the month."
Available as an app for iPhone, Android and as a standalone Web service, Slice simplifies your shopping by organizing all your online purchases in one place and tracking your in-progress shipments on a single map. A must-have tool going into the holidays, Slice is armed with features including price drop notifications, simplified returns and package tracking with friends. Slice was named "the best package tracker for iPhone" by Lifehacker, the "new BFF" for online shoppers by CNN and a "start-up to watch in 2012" by Inc. Magazine. For more information, visit www.slice.com/get_slice.
Slice uses information from electronic receipts in your inbox to create fun and useful consumer applications and experiences. Its popular flagship app, Slice, provides a simple way for consumers to manage all of their purchases, organize receipts, track shipping, take advantage of price adjustments and improve their shopping experiences. Based in Palo Alto, CA, Slice is privately held with funding from DCM, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Michael Birch, FLOODGATE, Innovation Endeavors (Eric Schmidt) and Rick Thompson. For more information, visit www.slice.com.
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,805
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,758
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 23, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,202
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 23, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,476
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Aug. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,957
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Aug. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,729
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 23, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,621
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 23, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,785
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,879
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,496
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,399
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,709
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,006
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,215
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,621
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 23, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,026
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,370
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 23, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,801
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,567
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Aug. 22, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,142