|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- This holiday season, consumers are thinking e-tail. In a record-breaking week, millions of shoppers went online to get a head start on their holiday shopping and take advantage of the sales. Today, Slice released exclusive data highlighting the major trends from the first big holiday sales push in 2012. From major trends among big-box retailers to the hottest-selling tablets, Slice's data provides the most comprehensive look at online retail trends this holiday season.
Since launching in 2011, Slice has tracked more than 45 million purchases. Because Slice aggregates data across all online retailers, the company has unique insight into the e-commerce landscape. Slice has the inside scoop on the what, where and how much of online shopping. With online sales totaling nearly $1.5 billion on Cyber Monday alone (via comScore's latest report), it's clear that holiday shoppers are increasingly turning online. Curious to see which retailers and products came out on top, Slice took a look at the trends that emerged in the first two weeks of the holiday shopping season.
- Top 5 Black Friday merchants. One-day sales from retailers like Apple drove holiday shoppers online in record-breaking numbers. Below is the list of the top five retailers on Black Friday, with the average order sizes and market shares included:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 32 percent market share, up from 26 percent in 2011
2. Macy's - $109 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $59 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
4. Apple - $520 average order size; 5 percent market share, down from 16 percent in 2011
5. Walmart - $99 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
- Top 5 Cyber Monday merchants. Not surprisingly, Amazon dominated online sales on Cyber Monday -- offering a host of offers, including a sale on Kindle Fires. Brick-and-mortar stores that offered Black Friday online sales dropped rank throughout the holiday weekend. Notably, Sears fell from the seventh to the 47th most popular shopping destination from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Below are Cyber Monday's top five retailers:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 40 percent market share, up from 31 percent in 2011
2. Walmart - $120 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $51 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
4. Newegg - $126 average order size; 3 percent market share, down from 6 percent in 2011
5. Macy's - $124 average order size; 2 percent market share, up from 1 percent in 2011
- Walmart sales climb, Apple's drop. Online retail sales by merchant were largely consistent throughout the weekend, with a few notable exceptions. Owing perhaps to Black Friday-only offers, Apple's average order size dropped from $520 on Friday to $308 on Cyber Monday -- bringing the technology giant down from the fourth to the seventh most shopped-at online retailer. Walmart, on the other hand, began the holiday weekend as the fifth most popular online retailer on Black Friday (with a $99 average order size). The big-box retailer climbed the ranks on Saturday and Sunday, ultimately claiming the number two spot on Cyber Monday. Walmart's average order size on Cyber Monday rose to $116. In the week following Cyber Monday, however, Walmart's average online order size dropped back down -- ending the month at $88.
- Post-Cyber Monday, Toys R Us sales soar. While most online retailers experienced a drop in order size following Cyber Monday, Toys R Us actually experienced its biggest shopping day on the following Thursday -- peaking with an average order size of $208. The rest of the week saw strong sales for the toy retailer as well, averaging $127 per order on the Tuesday after Cyber Monday (Cyber Monday order sizes averaged at $166). Toys R Us was one of several retailers (Target and Walmart also included) to offer extended Cyber Monday deals. Beginning on Sunday, November 25, ToysRUs.com featured limited supply, online-only deals throughout the week.
- QVC rakes in weekend shoppers. While displaying strong sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, QVC saw a huge spike in online sales on the Saturday and Sunday in between. On Black Friday, average order sizes came in at $202 for the home shopping network. Average order sizes then jumped up to $250 on Saturday before dropping back down to $150 that Sunday and $131 on Cyber Monday. QVC was the only retailer in the top ten to spike in online sales on the Saturday after Black Friday. Perhaps a result of QVC's "Better Than Black Friday" offers, QVC came in as the fifth most shopped-at online retailer on Saturday, November 24.
- Tablet sales. Tablets are among the hottest selling items this holiday season, with the most popular models coming from Amazon and Apple. During Thanksgiving weekend, the new iPads (mini and Retina) had a slight edge over Kindle Fire HDs -- selling 11:9. However, Amazon's tablet suite dominated the market, with the full line of Kindle Fire models winning out nearly 4:1 (74 percent) over iPad mini, iPad Retina and iPad 2 sales.
"The holiday season is when consumers tend to shop the most online -- usually November and December represent on average 38 percent of their annual online spend," said Scott Brady, CEO and co-founder of Slice. "And retailers have certainly taken note this season, capitalizing on this trend with enticing new online-only and mobile offers. The data shows a strong start to the holiday shopping season, and now with Green Monday sales from big name retailers like Newegg, Macy's, eBay, and Walmart, we can expect to see strong online sales continue throughout the month."
Available as an app for iPhone, Android and as a standalone Web service, Slice simplifies your shopping by organizing all your online purchases in one place and tracking your in-progress shipments on a single map. A must-have tool going into the holidays, Slice is armed with features including price drop notifications, simplified returns and package tracking with friends. Slice was named "the best package tracker for iPhone" by Lifehacker, the "new BFF" for online shoppers by CNN and a "start-up to watch in 2012" by Inc. Magazine. For more information, visit www.slice.com/get_slice.
Slice uses information from electronic receipts in your inbox to create fun and useful consumer applications and experiences. Its popular flagship app, Slice, provides a simple way for consumers to manage all of their purchases, organize receipts, track shipping, take advantage of price adjustments and improve their shopping experiences. Based in Palo Alto, CA, Slice is privately held with funding from DCM, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Michael Birch, FLOODGATE, Innovation Endeavors (Eric Schmidt) and Rick Thompson. For more information, visit www.slice.com.
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 23, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,255
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 23, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,564
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,863
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 976
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,991
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 738
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,286
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 23, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,713
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,105
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 23, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,073
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,011
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 23, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 849
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 756
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 23, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,328
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 23, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 810
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 23, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,479
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,494
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,536
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,079
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,336