|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- This holiday season, consumers are thinking e-tail. In a record-breaking week, millions of shoppers went online to get a head start on their holiday shopping and take advantage of the sales. Today, Slice released exclusive data highlighting the major trends from the first big holiday sales push in 2012. From major trends among big-box retailers to the hottest-selling tablets, Slice's data provides the most comprehensive look at online retail trends this holiday season.
Since launching in 2011, Slice has tracked more than 45 million purchases. Because Slice aggregates data across all online retailers, the company has unique insight into the e-commerce landscape. Slice has the inside scoop on the what, where and how much of online shopping. With online sales totaling nearly $1.5 billion on Cyber Monday alone (via comScore's latest report), it's clear that holiday shoppers are increasingly turning online. Curious to see which retailers and products came out on top, Slice took a look at the trends that emerged in the first two weeks of the holiday shopping season.
- Top 5 Black Friday merchants. One-day sales from retailers like Apple drove holiday shoppers online in record-breaking numbers. Below is the list of the top five retailers on Black Friday, with the average order sizes and market shares included:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 32 percent market share, up from 26 percent in 2011
2. Macy's - $109 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $59 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
4. Apple - $520 average order size; 5 percent market share, down from 16 percent in 2011
5. Walmart - $99 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
- Top 5 Cyber Monday merchants. Not surprisingly, Amazon dominated online sales on Cyber Monday -- offering a host of offers, including a sale on Kindle Fires. Brick-and-mortar stores that offered Black Friday online sales dropped rank throughout the holiday weekend. Notably, Sears fell from the seventh to the 47th most popular shopping destination from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Below are Cyber Monday's top five retailers:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 40 percent market share, up from 31 percent in 2011
2. Walmart - $120 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $51 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
4. Newegg - $126 average order size; 3 percent market share, down from 6 percent in 2011
5. Macy's - $124 average order size; 2 percent market share, up from 1 percent in 2011
- Walmart sales climb, Apple's drop. Online retail sales by merchant were largely consistent throughout the weekend, with a few notable exceptions. Owing perhaps to Black Friday-only offers, Apple's average order size dropped from $520 on Friday to $308 on Cyber Monday -- bringing the technology giant down from the fourth to the seventh most shopped-at online retailer. Walmart, on the other hand, began the holiday weekend as the fifth most popular online retailer on Black Friday (with a $99 average order size). The big-box retailer climbed the ranks on Saturday and Sunday, ultimately claiming the number two spot on Cyber Monday. Walmart's average order size on Cyber Monday rose to $116. In the week following Cyber Monday, however, Walmart's average online order size dropped back down -- ending the month at $88.
- Post-Cyber Monday, Toys R Us sales soar. While most online retailers experienced a drop in order size following Cyber Monday, Toys R Us actually experienced its biggest shopping day on the following Thursday -- peaking with an average order size of $208. The rest of the week saw strong sales for the toy retailer as well, averaging $127 per order on the Tuesday after Cyber Monday (Cyber Monday order sizes averaged at $166). Toys R Us was one of several retailers (Target and Walmart also included) to offer extended Cyber Monday deals. Beginning on Sunday, November 25, ToysRUs.com featured limited supply, online-only deals throughout the week.
- QVC rakes in weekend shoppers. While displaying strong sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, QVC saw a huge spike in online sales on the Saturday and Sunday in between. On Black Friday, average order sizes came in at $202 for the home shopping network. Average order sizes then jumped up to $250 on Saturday before dropping back down to $150 that Sunday and $131 on Cyber Monday. QVC was the only retailer in the top ten to spike in online sales on the Saturday after Black Friday. Perhaps a result of QVC's "Better Than Black Friday" offers, QVC came in as the fifth most shopped-at online retailer on Saturday, November 24.
- Tablet sales. Tablets are among the hottest selling items this holiday season, with the most popular models coming from Amazon and Apple. During Thanksgiving weekend, the new iPads (mini and Retina) had a slight edge over Kindle Fire HDs -- selling 11:9. However, Amazon's tablet suite dominated the market, with the full line of Kindle Fire models winning out nearly 4:1 (74 percent) over iPad mini, iPad Retina and iPad 2 sales.
"The holiday season is when consumers tend to shop the most online -- usually November and December represent on average 38 percent of their annual online spend," said Scott Brady, CEO and co-founder of Slice. "And retailers have certainly taken note this season, capitalizing on this trend with enticing new online-only and mobile offers. The data shows a strong start to the holiday shopping season, and now with Green Monday sales from big name retailers like Newegg, Macy's, eBay, and Walmart, we can expect to see strong online sales continue throughout the month."
Available as an app for iPhone, Android and as a standalone Web service, Slice simplifies your shopping by organizing all your online purchases in one place and tracking your in-progress shipments on a single map. A must-have tool going into the holidays, Slice is armed with features including price drop notifications, simplified returns and package tracking with friends. Slice was named "the best package tracker for iPhone" by Lifehacker, the "new BFF" for online shoppers by CNN and a "start-up to watch in 2012" by Inc. Magazine. For more information, visit www.slice.com/get_slice.
Slice uses information from electronic receipts in your inbox to create fun and useful consumer applications and experiences. Its popular flagship app, Slice, provides a simple way for consumers to manage all of their purchases, organize receipts, track shipping, take advantage of price adjustments and improve their shopping experiences. Based in Palo Alto, CA, Slice is privately held with funding from DCM, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Michael Birch, FLOODGATE, Innovation Endeavors (Eric Schmidt) and Rick Thompson. For more information, visit www.slice.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,128
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,948
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,873
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,768
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,698
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,354
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,029
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,141
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 26, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,257
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,557
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 682
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,101
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 26, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,059
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,888
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 26, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,265
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,323
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 26, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,007
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,950