|By Marketwired .||
|December 12, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/12/12 -- This holiday season, consumers are thinking e-tail. In a record-breaking week, millions of shoppers went online to get a head start on their holiday shopping and take advantage of the sales. Today, Slice released exclusive data highlighting the major trends from the first big holiday sales push in 2012. From major trends among big-box retailers to the hottest-selling tablets, Slice's data provides the most comprehensive look at online retail trends this holiday season.
Since launching in 2011, Slice has tracked more than 45 million purchases. Because Slice aggregates data across all online retailers, the company has unique insight into the e-commerce landscape. Slice has the inside scoop on the what, where and how much of online shopping. With online sales totaling nearly $1.5 billion on Cyber Monday alone (via comScore's latest report), it's clear that holiday shoppers are increasingly turning online. Curious to see which retailers and products came out on top, Slice took a look at the trends that emerged in the first two weeks of the holiday shopping season.
- Top 5 Black Friday merchants. One-day sales from retailers like Apple drove holiday shoppers online in record-breaking numbers. Below is the list of the top five retailers on Black Friday, with the average order sizes and market shares included:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 32 percent market share, up from 26 percent in 2011
2. Macy's - $109 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $59 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 2 percent in 2011
4. Apple - $520 average order size; 5 percent market share, down from 16 percent in 2011
5. Walmart - $99 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
- Top 5 Cyber Monday merchants. Not surprisingly, Amazon dominated online sales on Cyber Monday -- offering a host of offers, including a sale on Kindle Fires. Brick-and-mortar stores that offered Black Friday online sales dropped rank throughout the holiday weekend. Notably, Sears fell from the seventh to the 47th most popular shopping destination from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. Below are Cyber Monday's top five retailers:
1. Amazon - $62 average order size; 40 percent market share, up from 31 percent in 2011
2. Walmart - $120 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
3. eBay - $51 average order size; 5 percent market share, up from 4 percent in 2011
4. Newegg - $126 average order size; 3 percent market share, down from 6 percent in 2011
5. Macy's - $124 average order size; 2 percent market share, up from 1 percent in 2011
- Walmart sales climb, Apple's drop. Online retail sales by merchant were largely consistent throughout the weekend, with a few notable exceptions. Owing perhaps to Black Friday-only offers, Apple's average order size dropped from $520 on Friday to $308 on Cyber Monday -- bringing the technology giant down from the fourth to the seventh most shopped-at online retailer. Walmart, on the other hand, began the holiday weekend as the fifth most popular online retailer on Black Friday (with a $99 average order size). The big-box retailer climbed the ranks on Saturday and Sunday, ultimately claiming the number two spot on Cyber Monday. Walmart's average order size on Cyber Monday rose to $116. In the week following Cyber Monday, however, Walmart's average online order size dropped back down -- ending the month at $88.
- Post-Cyber Monday, Toys R Us sales soar. While most online retailers experienced a drop in order size following Cyber Monday, Toys R Us actually experienced its biggest shopping day on the following Thursday -- peaking with an average order size of $208. The rest of the week saw strong sales for the toy retailer as well, averaging $127 per order on the Tuesday after Cyber Monday (Cyber Monday order sizes averaged at $166). Toys R Us was one of several retailers (Target and Walmart also included) to offer extended Cyber Monday deals. Beginning on Sunday, November 25, ToysRUs.com featured limited supply, online-only deals throughout the week.
- QVC rakes in weekend shoppers. While displaying strong sales on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, QVC saw a huge spike in online sales on the Saturday and Sunday in between. On Black Friday, average order sizes came in at $202 for the home shopping network. Average order sizes then jumped up to $250 on Saturday before dropping back down to $150 that Sunday and $131 on Cyber Monday. QVC was the only retailer in the top ten to spike in online sales on the Saturday after Black Friday. Perhaps a result of QVC's "Better Than Black Friday" offers, QVC came in as the fifth most shopped-at online retailer on Saturday, November 24.
- Tablet sales. Tablets are among the hottest selling items this holiday season, with the most popular models coming from Amazon and Apple. During Thanksgiving weekend, the new iPads (mini and Retina) had a slight edge over Kindle Fire HDs -- selling 11:9. However, Amazon's tablet suite dominated the market, with the full line of Kindle Fire models winning out nearly 4:1 (74 percent) over iPad mini, iPad Retina and iPad 2 sales.
"The holiday season is when consumers tend to shop the most online -- usually November and December represent on average 38 percent of their annual online spend," said Scott Brady, CEO and co-founder of Slice. "And retailers have certainly taken note this season, capitalizing on this trend with enticing new online-only and mobile offers. The data shows a strong start to the holiday shopping season, and now with Green Monday sales from big name retailers like Newegg, Macy's, eBay, and Walmart, we can expect to see strong online sales continue throughout the month."
Available as an app for iPhone, Android and as a standalone Web service, Slice simplifies your shopping by organizing all your online purchases in one place and tracking your in-progress shipments on a single map. A must-have tool going into the holidays, Slice is armed with features including price drop notifications, simplified returns and package tracking with friends. Slice was named "the best package tracker for iPhone" by Lifehacker, the "new BFF" for online shoppers by CNN and a "start-up to watch in 2012" by Inc. Magazine. For more information, visit www.slice.com/get_slice.
Slice uses information from electronic receipts in your inbox to create fun and useful consumer applications and experiences. Its popular flagship app, Slice, provides a simple way for consumers to manage all of their purchases, organize receipts, track shipping, take advantage of price adjustments and improve their shopping experiences. Based in Palo Alto, CA, Slice is privately held with funding from DCM, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Michael Birch, FLOODGATE, Innovation Endeavors (Eric Schmidt) and Rick Thompson. For more information, visit www.slice.com.
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 2, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,003
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 2, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,055
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 2, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 2, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,004
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 2, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 2, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,357
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 2, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 393
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 2, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,103
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 2, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 2, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 979
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
May. 2, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,650
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 2, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 883
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 2, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 801
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
May. 2, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,550
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 1, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,091
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
May. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,786
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,367
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,131