|By Marketwired .||
|January 9, 2013 04:30 PM EST||
CORK, IRELAND -- (Marketwire) -- 01/09/13 -- SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT management software, today released results of a survey of network administrators, the second part of a comprehensive survey which last month announced findings for systems administrators. The results show a striking similarity between both groups in job satisfaction and optimism, experience and loyalty, as well as how they like to spend their free time and even their favorite video games and geek TV shows. The survey also uncovered some on-the-job differences between the groups.
These results are part of a wide-ranging survey of 400 UK-based systems administrators (sysadmins) and 400 UK-based network administrators (netadmins), conducted in October 2012 to understand the IT professional in both their professional and personal lives. Despite an overwhelming majority of each group agreeing there are now more responsibilities and demands on their time, the overarching results find IT workers to be model employees: experienced, optimistic and confident in their companies, loyal and satisfied in their job roles.
- High levels of overall job enjoyment: Though both groups enjoy their jobs, netadmins demonstrate slightly higher job satisfaction. More netadmins (72 percent) expressed enjoyment in their jobs compared with sysadmins (67 percent). Both groups felt appreciated by their organization with 55 percent of netadmins and 53 percent of sysadmins. The most enjoyable thing about their jobs? Over 70 percent of netadmins and sysadmins agree it's solving problems -- the top answer for both groups.
- New Year's projections: System and network admins overall believe their 2013 budgets will likely remain flat. Thirty-nine percent of these IT pros expect no change from 2012. Nonetheless, both groups remain optimistic for the New Year: 69 percent of netadmins and 65 percent of sysadmins agree 2013 will be a better year for their companies.
- Loyalty towards and confidence in their companies: Both netadmins and sysadmins are loyal to their companies, with 43 percent of sysadmins and 38 percent of netadmins and having worked at their jobs for 10 years or more or never having changed jobs. Seventy-seven percent of netadmins and 71 percent of sysadmins expressed that they have some level of trust in the senior/executive leadership of the company. The numbers were even higher for trust in IT leadership, with 81 percent of netadmins and 74 percent of sysadmins expressing some level of trust.
- Feeling supported: A key shared viewpoint among both groups is that they feel supported and empowered to do their jobs in various ways. A majority of both groups feel they have adequate tools and software support from the organisation and ongoing training and skills development. Netadmins, however, receive slightly more support, with 67 percent versus 62 percent of sysadmins saying they have adequate tools and software; 61 percent versus 56 percent having adequate organisational support; and 57 versus 50 percent having adequate ongoing skills training and development. However universally, most IT pros -- 70 percent of both groups -- feel their work is not well understood by others in the company.
- Responsibility and compensation: As may be expected, netadmins have a wider range of responsibilities compared with their sysadmin counterparts. As a result, netadmins also spend more free time working, with 46 percent indicating they spend a "significant" amount of time completing tasks, compared with 44 percent of sysadmins.
- Similar frustrations: On both sides, sysadmins and netadmins have similar frustrations: too little pay but too much to do and increasing workloads, not having enough budget and a lack of appreciation from the company.
- Ambitions: In five years, 37 percent of netadmins and 30 percent of sysadmins see themselves as IT department head. However, only five percent of netadmins and four percent of sysadmins think they would make it as CIO. Interestingly, there is some desire between the groups to switch job roles: 19 percent of netadmins say they will cross over to systems management, while 12 percent of sysadmins say they will be netadmins in five years.
"Our survey reveals that IT pros are a remarkable and resilient bunch," said Kevin Thompson, President and CEO, SolarWinds. "They are unsung heroes in many companies, but they are incredibly loyal and motivated despite the scope of work they do and the demand of work on their time both on and off the job. It's essential for companies to understand what drives netadmins and sysadmins to perform and give them the support that helps make their jobs easier in order to retain these valuable employees."
As with their professional lives, network administrators and systems administrators show some remarkable similarities in their personal lives and preferences.
- Personality traits: More than 50 percent of both groups say they are hardworking, the top personality trait chosen, closely followed by friendly.
- Gadgets of choice: Respondents have indicated a preference for Android over iPhone for their personal smartphone, with 38 percent for the Google platform compared to 32 percent for Apple. An overwhelming majority of netadmins and sysadmins are PC users with 83 and 81 percent respectively.
- What they watch: The top sci-fi TV show for both groups was "Star Trek," followed by "The X-Files" and "The Simpsons." But on the big screen, "Lord of the Rings" and "Star Wars" both won the top movie franchise spot, closely followed by "The Matrix."
- What they drink: If they aren't working during their free time, netadmins and sysadmins like to enjoy a brew after work. Thirty percent of IT pros prefer some kind of beer to drink in their off time. Wine is also a favoured off-duty drink for a little under 20 percent of respondents.
- More similarities: Both groups list Batman as their favorite superhero; rock music as the genre of choice; and compact cars as current vehicles. The top three answers for what they like to do in their free time were the same between the two groups: 1) spending time with family and friends; 2) unwinding at home; and 3) surfing the web.
Demographically, two-thirds of both groups were male. Slightly more netadmins than sysadmins have advanced degrees, with 59 percent of netadmins having at least a bachelor's degree compared with 53 percent of sysadmins. Netadmins were also a bit more experienced, with 63 percent indicating more than 8 years of experience versus 59 percent of sysadmins.
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. In all of our market areas, our approach is consistent. We focus exclusively on IT Pros and strive to eliminate the complexity that they have been forced to accept from traditional enterprise software vendors. SolarWinds delivers on this commitment with unexpected simplicity through products that are easy to find, buy, use and maintain while providing the power to address any IT management problem on any scale. Our solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base, which interacts in our online community, thwack, to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly participate in our product development process. Learn more today at http://www.solarwinds.com/.
PDF Attachment Available: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201301/117286_Solarwinds_comparison_UK.pdf
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2197671
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,079
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,128
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,948
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,873
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,768
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,698
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,354
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,029
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,141
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 26, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,257
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,557
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,246
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 682
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,101
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 26, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,059
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,888
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 26, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,265
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,323
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 26, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,007
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,950