|By PR Newswire||
|January 16, 2013 04:38 PM EST||
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Leading world travel luminaries like Lonely Planet, Fodor's and Golfweek praise Dominican Republic's exuberant golf, beaches and exciting ecotourism and culture. Centrally located in the Caribbean with delicious gastronomy, friendly people and world-class resorts, Dominican Republic is the place to go in 2013!
"Dominican Republic boasts an unrivaled and carefully nurtured natural environment with culturally rich cities and friendly Dominican towns that keep visitors coming back to our 1,000 miles of sunny coastline every year," said Magaly Toribio, Marketing Advisor for the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism. "The charm and lure of the country comes from our exuberant people, abundant recreation and excursions, rich culture and superlative relaxation enabling visitors to transcend their cares and restore their joy."
2013 – Accolades:
- Veteran travel guide publisher Fodor's included the Samana Peninsula on Fodor's "Go List of 25 Places to Go in 2013" with new regular JetBlue and Air Canada flights to El Catey International Airport (AZS). Fodor's makes the point that Samaná is charming for its delightful small inns, secluded beaches, friendly locals and plenty of natural wonders. All of this plus the region has not experienced massive development.
- Lonely Planet named Dominican Republic among its "Top 10 Countries for 2013" in its "Best in Travel" honors. Lonely Planet draws upon the input of its staff, authors and online community for recommendations with the final list being decided upon by an in-house panel of experts.
- The International Association of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO) named Dominican Republic the "2013 Golf Destination of the Year in the Caribbean and Latin America". This is the second time Dominican Republic has been chosen by IAGTO as best for its magnificent, sun-kissed golf courses.
2012 – Lavish Dominican Accommodations:
- Conde Nast Traveler magazine named The Peninsula House on the Samana Peninsula as #7 among the Top 100 Hotels of the World.
- TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence Award was presented to Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge in Barahona.
- Resort Condominiums International (RCI) Golf Crown Award was bestowed upon Puerto Plata's Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa, Now Larimar Punta Cana, Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and Zoetry Agua Punta Cana.
- Island Destinations' Ultimate Family Award honored La Romana's Casa de Campo.
- The AAA Four Diamond Award was given to PUNTACANA Resort & Club's Bamboo restaurant and the AAA Three Diamond Award to its La Yola restaurant.
- The ITS Red Star Award honored Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace in La Romana-Bayahibe for its high-quality service and guest satisfaction.
- The HolidayCheck Award recognized four Dominican properties in four categories: Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana in Beach Holiday, Bayahibe's IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus in Family, IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada by Puerto Plata in Couples, and IBEROSTAR Bavaro as the Country's No. 1 property.
- The Crystal Apple Award was bestowed to Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for its service.
- The European Foundation for Environmental Education granted the Blue Flag Award to Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort for its sustainable development.
2012 – Popular Perks:
- TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice Award honored PUNTACANA Resort & Club's Tortuga Bay as the top hotel in Dominican Republic and No. 3 in the Caribbean.
- Travel + Leisure World's Best Values list included Sanctuary Cap Cana as No. 4 in "The Caribbean, Bermuda, and the Bahamas" category.
- Andrew Harper's Reader's Choice Awards named La Romana's Casa De Campo as one of the Top 20 Family Resorts and one of the Top 20 Golf Resorts.
- Latin Trade magazine named InterContinental V Centenario Hotel in Santo Domingo as the city's best business hotel.
- Hideaway Report readers recognized Casa de Campo as one of the World's Top 20 Family and Golf Resorts.
- TripAdvisor's travel community ranked Punta Cana as a Top 10 Most Romantic Destination.
- A National Geographic cover story featured Samana's roads in the world's most scenic drives.
- ShermansTravel.com named Dream's Punta Cana Resort & Spa the third best all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean and Mexico.
- Expedia.com's "Insiders' Selects" list honored three Dominican hotels: Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, Catalonia Royal Bavaro and Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro.
2012 – Smooth Sailing & Good Golfing:
- Cruise Insight magazine awarded La Romana cruise port with five accolades, including: "best cruise ship destination port."
- Celebrated Living's list of the World's Top 20 Golf Courses ranked La Cana Golf Course at PUNTACANA Resort & Club No. 20.
- GolfWeek included six Dominican golf courses in its "2012 Best Courses of the Caribbean and Mexico": Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore at Casa de Campo, Playa Grande, La Romana Country Club, Corales at PUNTACANA Resort & Club, and #1 Punta Espada at Cap Cana.
- World Travel Awards named Casa de Campo the Caribbean's leading golf resort in 2012.
Dominican Republic's first tourist was Christopher Columbus in 1492. Rich in history, Dominican Republic has developed into a diverse destination offering both Dominican and European flavors to approximately five million global visitors in 2012. Named #1 Golf Destination in Caribbean & Latin America by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Dominican Republic boasts 28 designer golf courses, upscale resorts, pristine nature and sophisticated cities and quaint villages filled with warm Dominican people. Dominican Republic features the best beaches, fascinating history and culture, and is a chosen escape for celebrities, couples and families alike. Visit Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism's official website at: www.GoDominicanRepublic.com.
SOURCE Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 6, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,335
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 6, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,408
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
May. 6, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,434
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 6, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,258
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 6, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,487
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 5, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,358
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 5, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,510
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 5, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,057
A critical component of any IoT project is the back-end systems that capture data from remote IoT devices and structure it in a way to answer useful questions. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle large data sets, but they are not well suited to many IoT-scale products and the need for real-time insights. At Fuze, we have developed a backend platform as part of our mobility-oriented cloud service that uses Big Data-based approache...
May. 5, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 791
trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vice president of product management, IoT solutions at GlobalSign, will teach IoT developers how t...
May. 5, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 767
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 5, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,086
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 5, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,495
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
May. 5, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 781
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 5, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 620
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 5, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,341
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
May. 5, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,371
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 5, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,584
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 5, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 5, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,411
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 3, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,665