|By Bob Gourley||
|January 22, 2013 06:03 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Milestone 1 hits Nexus and Samsung devices – CyanogenMod is one of the top Android ROMs. This third-party solution focuses on delivering an AOSP experience along with some modifications intended for better performance and battery life. If you are looking for a rather stable first ROM, CyanogenMod is a great place to start. Via Engadget, more here.
- [Release] JB-MR1 Build 2 – My Android ROM of choice is AOKP. I’ve written about it often, and they have recently released their Android 4.2.1 Build 2. I have already downloaded it and find it does quite a good job of giving me the customization I’ve come to enjoy quite a lot. AOKP is out for a wide variety of top Android devices. Via AOKP, more here.
- Android Is Popular Because It’s Cheap, Not Because It’s Good/The Truth Is That Android Is Cheap, Not Good – Gizmodo and TechCrunch are two of my favorite sites to read. They have extensive sources, and often grab a ton of stories that aren’t available elsewhere. However, sometimes they editorialize, and seem to display a ridiculous pro-Apple bias. As someone who forced himself to use the iPad Mini for all my tablet needs for almost a month while using the Nexus 4 as my smartphone of choice, I can say these guys are utter clowns. The only native feature that iOS features that is lacking on Android is the “Do Not Disturb” option (which is quite clever), but in every other facet Android 4 outshines it (oh and you can set up far more extensive profiles using apps in the Play Store). Google Now is a great tool, search is far superior (voice and other) and the Android homescreen is infinitely more useful. While Android is available on a whole range of products (including some awful ones), it is Google, not Apple driving mobile OS innovation. The assertion that the only inexpensive phones you can purchase are Android devices is also false, because iPhone 4(s) are available on most US contracts for $0 (subsidized). While I’ve written before about the need for Android OEMs to get smarter with branding and manufacturing, the best smartphones are Android. Sorry Sam (Biddle), Android is driving mobile innovation and Android devices are leading the way, Apple is now merely a follower. Via Gizmodo and TechCrunch, here and here.
- Latest Samsung Galaxy S IV Rumors Point To April Launch – The S3, with release on every US carrier, proved Samsung to be the smartphone manufacturer of note in 2012. For most of the year, it was the clear cut best smartphone, and is still highly regarded. The fourth version of the flagship device is accompanied by rumor after rumor, but one thing can be sure, it will be a solid smartphone. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- iPhone Sales At Verizon Top 6.2M, Or 63% Of All Smartphones Sold In Q4, Half Of Which Were iPhone 5 – 2/3s of all Verizon smartphones sold in Q4 were iOS. Of these, only half were the iPhone 5, instead users chose the iPhone 4 or 4S models. As I’ve already stated, Apple saw the success of “budget” devices, and priced their year and two years old offerings to match. The US public’s appetite for substandard phones still amazes me (as the difference between brand new and year old tech is only $100 over 24 months, or roughly $4.40 per month for the life of the contract); however, there can be no accounting for good sense. While overall the numbers are good for Apple, the lack of iPhone 5 sales should be troubling. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- AT&T To Acquire Wireless Spectrum and Assets from Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., Enhance Wireless Coverage in Rural Areas – This is nothing more than a pure spectrum grab, but as spectrum becomes more and more scarce, it will be more necessary for carriers to make such moves. After the T-Mobile merger was denied, it is not surprising to see AT&T on the warpath for more spectrum. Via Business Wire, more here.
- Stretch your pockets: 150M “phablet” sales expected in 2013 - the term “phablet” here is misleading, because the firm who did the research (ABI) considers 4.6″ to 6.5″ to be “phablet territory.” This incorrect labeling puts devices such as the Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy S3 in the same category as the Galaxy Note and Note 2, which they are not. I find the assertion that 150M phones of that size will be sold, but calling them “phablets” is merely just stirring up mud. But that said, I guess 2013 will be the year of the “phablet.” Via GigaOM, more here.
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 20, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,870
SYS-CON Events announced today that Sheng Liang to Keynote at SYS-CON's 19th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1-3, 2016 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, California.
Oct. 20, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,622
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,927
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,775
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 825
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, discussed how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technologi...
Oct. 20, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,772
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 20, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 837
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 20, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 11,008
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 883
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,884
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,563
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,649
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 842
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, will discuss the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docke...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,152
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 722
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,063
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,387
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 20, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,743
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 20, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,432
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 20, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 832