|By Bob Gourley||
|February 7, 2013 06:46 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Steve Wozniak: Samsung is a “big competitor” and Apple is “somewhat behind” - For better or worse, Steve Wozniak’s opinion on all things mobile (or rather all things Apple) is always of huge interest to some people. Well the most recent news is Steve Wozniak seems to believe that Samsung (Android) is a better OS than iOS right now. Via Android Community, more here.
- FreedomPop now lets users share unused data through social networks, confirms LTE iPad clip coming soon – FreedomPop offered a sleeve for the iPod Touch which gave WiMAX to the device. It now allows you to share that data with friends via social networks. It appears they are also planning an iPad capability in the coming months. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Review: BlackBerry 10 is better, much better, late than never – Ars Technica reviews the new BlackBerry 10, and if you’re considering purchasing a BB10 device you should check it out. It is the most extensive and even handed review of the operating system I have seen to date. Via Ars Technica, more here.
- In Q4 Android phones drove more mobile ad impressions than iPhone for 1st time ever – Mobile ad impressions is an imprecise calculation, but changes in them can definitely identify trends. This information was released by Opera Mediaworks (which tracks the statistics of the Opera Mobile). These statistics really mean nothing to me, because Opera is an alternative browser anyways (and far inferior to both native Android browsers and Google’s own Chrome browser). Via GigaOM, more here.
- HTC M7 could arrive as soon as March 8 – HTC was banking on getting their next elite smartphone, the M7 out the door before Apple’s iPhone 5S/6 or Samsung’s Galaxy S IV were released. However, numerous reports of manufacturing issues among other things have led to a released that may hit only 500K instead of the purported 3M units alleged to ship. That said, getting it out in March may help HTC capture mindshare before comparative devices can be released. Via Android Community, more here.
- Mailbox for iPhone goes live for free in the App Store, reservations now being filled – “Mailbox, the highly-anticipated third-party Gmail client for the iPhone, is now available in the App Store. Here’s the essence of why Mailbox is meant to be a better mobile email client:
- Mailbox is light, fast, and mobile-friendly.
- Swipes make checking mail from your phone a delight.
- Snoozes let you put off an email until later and remind you when the time has come.
- Mailbox makes getting to inbox zero, and staying there, a breeze.”
If you’re interested in a new Gmail app, apply for the registration and check it out. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- ASUS ME371MG tablet leak shows a 7-inch display and Intel processor – This potential Asus and Intel tablet would be only the second Android device with Intel guts, and the first tablet. It will be really interesting to see what Intel can bring to bear in mobile devices and capabilities. Via Android Community, more here.
- 33 expert tips and tricks for iOS 6 – Apple added some new capabilities in iOS 6, and this MacWorld article may help some of you get to know your new OS a little better. Check it out here.
- ComScore: Windows Phone lost US market share in holiday quarter – Microsoft was hoping for a big Q4, and it did not come. Between lackluster Surface RT sales and losing Windows Phone 8 market share, they are not looking strong in the mobile scene. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Galaxy Q with Bendable Dual HD Display Screen to be Announced in MWC 2013 – The Galaxy Q is set to be showcased at MWC. This device will have 2 5.3″ 1080p screens, as well as having a 3500mAh battery. I’m unsure how this would pan out in the wild, but we shall have to wait for MWC. Via Android Advices, more here.
- Wikipad 7-inch Android gaming tablet to arrive this spring for $249 – Wikipad initially debuted their idea of an Android gamepad at the 10″ size, but have reasonably shrunk it down to a 7″ screen. This device “will have an attachable dual-analog controller and given the processor — will have games from the Tegra Zone. Wikipad also noted PlayStation Mobile and Big Fish Games as partners.” Via Android Community, more here.
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 7, 2016 08:15 PM EST Reads: 2,195
IoT solutions exploit operational data generated by Internet-connected smart “things” for the purpose of gaining operational insight and producing “better outcomes” (for example, create new business models, eliminate unscheduled maintenance, etc.). The explosive proliferation of IoT solutions will result in an exponential growth in the volume of IoT data, precipitating significant Information Governance issues: who owns the IoT data, what are the rights/duties of IoT solutions adopters towards t...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 261
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 926
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,748
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 7, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,676
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 363
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 7, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 2,262
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,778
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 941
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 4,318
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,119
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,200
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,388
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,122
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 747
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 848
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 648
We are always online. We access our data, our finances, work, and various services on the Internet. But we live in a congested world of information in which the roads were built two decades ago. The quest for better, faster Internet routing has been around for a decade, but nobody solved this problem. We’ve seen band-aid approaches like CDNs that attack a niche's slice of static content part of the Internet, but that’s it. It does not address the dynamic services-based Internet of today. It does...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,126
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 698
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 2,305