|By Marketwired .||
|May 23, 2014 06:37 PM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 05/23/14 -- New York City is hot this coming weekend with winter in the rear view mirror and spring in full bloom. The Big Apple is offering a huge array of fabulous venues and events for you, your friends and family to enjoy this Memorial Day holiday. Today, NYCTourist.com (http://www.NYCTourist.com) announced twenty of the top events, activities and locales just waiting for you this Memorial Day Weekend. So kick your heels up and hit the town... they are:
1. Fleet Week Tour of New York Harbor. - This fantastic maritime display and celebration includes the return of the 2.5-hour tour to discover the military history of New York Harbor during World War II and to honor its memory. Historic military sites included are the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, the Staten Island Homeport, Governor's Island and the Statue of Liberty. You will also have the opportunity of seeing these intriguing historic ships up close. Tickets are specially priced at just $68 per person, and you can save $ with this exclusive online promo code: TOUR5.Visit HERE for discounted NYC Fleet Week tour tickets.
2. Top of the Rock. - The Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to visit world-famous Rockefeller Center and see the entire city in a spectacular view from the lofty observation deck. Rockefeller Center was a gift to Manhattan from John D. Rockefeller as a location for both city residents and visitors to celebrate and admire the city he loved. Location: 30 Rockefeller Plaza (entrance at 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. Hours: 8am to 12 midnight daily. Visit twice in one day with this special promo offer.
3. Hit Times Square and see a Broadway Show -- Check out a crowd favorite, Phantom of the Opera. - Celebrate the 2014 Memorial Day holiday by seeing the marvelous Broadway production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, set in the splendor and intrigue of a Paris opera house. This production is now playing at the Majestic Theatre at 47 West 44th Street in New York. For tickets and information, see this Broadway show page.
4. NYCTourist.com Museum Discount Pass. - Purchase this amazing discount pass before the Memorial Day holiday, and you, your friends and family can enjoy 30 marvelous days of museum entrance throughout New York City's fabulous museums. This pass is now discounted and is free for all children. For questions and more information, see this page for the NYCTourist.com Museum Pass Card.
5. Mets Baseball Game. - If your heart is set on attending a New York Mets baseball game this Memorial Day, it is still possible to get tickets. Be at spectacular Citi Field in Queens for the heights of sports excitement with other loyal fans this year. Location: 123-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Flushing, NY. For tickets, see nyctourist.com/new-york-mets-tickets.htm
6. Memorial Day Concert (no charge). - Monday, May 26 at 2:30pm. Green-Wood Cemetery 500 25th St, at Fifth Ave, Brooklyn, 11232. See green-wood.com.
7. Dinner at Rick's Cabaret New York. - Spend an exciting night out at Rick's, the number one gentleman's club, cabaret and steakhouse in New York City. Whether with a special friend or a larger group, you will get a great introduction to night life in the city at this busy nightspot. Location: 50 West 33rd Street, Manhattan. Phone: 212-372-0850. See nyctourist.com/ricks-cabaret-new-york.
8. South Street Seaport. - What better locale to celebrate the 2014 Memorial Day weekend than Manhattan's South Street Seaport. Enjoy the vast array of shops, eateries and holiday activities while learning about maritime legends, history and ships. For more information, call 212-732-8257.
9. New York Sightseeing, Brunch & Dinner Hornblower Cruises. - Enjoy a fabulous two or three-hour boat cruise along with a delicious buffet brunch or dinner and drinks. You will have a spectacular view of New York Harbor activities and the island of Manhattan from the comfort of your waterside table. Join one of the starlit dinner-dance cruises or choose a daytime schedule for taking great holiday photos and videos.
10. Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Memorial Day Ceremony. - From Friday, May 23 through Monday, May 26, 2014, the museum is offering free admission to this special Memorial Day Ceremony when you pay for museum admission. Experience this moving ceremony along with military officers and members from all five U.S. Armed Forces branches. The event will include a commemorative wreath laying, a 21-gun salute and the raising of a large American flag. The museum is located at Pier 86 at Twelfth Avenue in Midtown West, Manhattan. Contact 212-245-0072 or 877-957-7447 for more information.
11. Sweet Spot Festival. - The Sweet Spot Festival is an annual outdoor party at the West Harlem Piers in Upper Manhattan taking place this year on Sunday, May 25. Enjoy great food and beverages from local eateries and restaurants while taking part in the Memorial Day Dance-Off. Browse through the artisan marketplace and benefit from free yoga sessions. Location: Henry Hudson Parkway (St Clair Pl at W 125th St). Come and enjoy the entire day or drop in for an hour or two of fun and good food.
12. New York Philharmonic at Cathedral of St. John the Divine. - On Monday, May 26, 2014, New York City's acclaimed New York Philharmonic Orchestra will give a free concert for the public at this magnificent cathedral. Music Director and Conductor Alan Gilbert and the orchestra will present a special holiday concert including Nielsen's Helios Overture and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5. Tickets to be available at the event on a 'first-come, first-served' basis, beginning at 6pm. Location: Cathedral of St. John the Divine, 1047 Amsterdam Avenue at 112th Street, Manhattan.
13. Governors Island Family Festival. - You and your family can spend the day on Sunday, May 25, this year celebrating the Memorial Day weekend at the Family Festival on Governors Island. This exciting events features clowns, puppets, music, games, face painting, arts and crafts and much more. Directions: Ferry service is available throughout the day from the Battery Maritime Building, 10 South Street at Whitehall Street in Lower Manhattan.
14. Family Workshop at the Cloisters. - Take the family to a magical program, "In Search of the Unicorn," at The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan during the Memorial Day weekend. In this fabulous world of imagination, unicorns inhabit the woodlands while monstrous dragons lurk around every dark corner. Enjoy the fascinating stories about medieval animals and people while creating your own unicorn or other mythical creature. Location: The Cloisters Museum and Gardens, 99 Margaret Corbin Drive, Fort Tryon Park, NY. Phone: 212-923-3700.
15. Lower East Side Festival of the Arts. - This completely free festival is one of the most unique and versatile holiday celebrations you will attend. For the entire Memorial Day weekend, you and your friends or family can immerse yourselves in all that is avant-garde and innovative in the worlds of modern theater, music, dance, comedy, performance arts, film, video, painting and sculpture. This joyous event celebrates the contribution of all the creative artists who have lived and worked on the Lower East Side in the past. Location: East Village south of 14th Street in Manhattan.
16. Memorial Day Parade. - Come Uptown for the annual Memorial Day Parade on May 26 this year. This parade is in honor of all heroes who have served the United States during wartime. The Manhattan Memorial Day Parade begins mid-morning in Inwood at the intersection of Dyckman Street and Broadway.
17. New York City Public Beaches. - The New York City public beaches officially open this year on Saturday, May 24, from 10am to 6pm. All beaches are available to the public during these hours daily, and experienced lifeguards are on duty. For further information and beach locations, contact the New York City Parks Department: 212-408-0226.
18. The 9/11 Memorial and Museum. - The very moving and meaningful design for this memorial, "Reflecting Absence," by architect Michael Arad reveals a pair of reflecting pools within the footprint of both Twin Towers. Oak trees now stand in place of the the former steel columns of the towers as a living commemoration. Name of the victims of the September 11, 1993, attacks are inscribed on bronze panels surrounding the pools. A visit on to this location on Memorial Day will have a very special significance for many people. Entrance: Albany and Greenwich Streets, Financial District in Lower Manhattan. See nyctourist.com/ground_zero_museum_workshop.htm
19. Empire State Building. - The stately Empire State Building is always a wonderful place to visit during the Memorial Day weekend in New York City. The New York skyline grows more spectacular each time you visit, and you will delight in restored beauty and style of the Art Deco lobby decor. Enjoy the swift ride via high-speed elevator service to the 86th floor observatory 1,050 feet above ground level to relax and take in the panoramic view on the open-air deck. Location: 350 Fifth Avenue between 33d and 34th Streets (Hours: 8am to 2am).
20. Central Park. - Explore glorious Central Park in Manhattan during the Memorial Day holiday this year. Enjoy the open green beauty of Sheep Meadow or take a bike ride to Strawberry Fields, Belvedere Castle, Shakespeare Gardens or Turtle Pond. While there, enjoy a concert, film, theater or impromptu performance. Location: 59th Street to 110th Street (between Fifth and Eighth Aves). For more information, call 212-360-3444.
NYCTourist.com is an authority on traveling to New York City and a one-stop destination website when planning a NYC vacation. Find the best information, read user reviews and find the best deals on attractions, tours, transportation, Broadway shows, hotels and more in New York City. Jamie Carr, editor of NYCTourist.com, enjoys helping travelers plan travel to her favorite city and place in the world -- New York City.
Editor - NYCTourist.com
800 450 7805 ext 10809
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 205
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 11, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 218
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 109
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 428
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 ad...
Feb. 10, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 395
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 427
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 623
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 191
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 112
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 251
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 225
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 186
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 386
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 10, 2016 08:00 AM EST
Eighty percent of a data scientist’s time is spent gathering and cleaning up data, and 80% of all data is unstructured and almost never analyzed. Cognitive computing, in combination with Big Data, is changing the equation by creating data reservoirs and using natural language processing to enable analysis of unstructured data sources. This is impacting every aspect of the analytics profession from how data is mined (and by whom) to how it is delivered. This is not some futuristic vision: it's ha...
Feb. 10, 2016 07:45 AM EST Reads: 439
Silver Spring Networks, Inc. (NYSE: SSNI) extended its Internet of Things technology platform with performance enhancements to Gen5 – its fifth generation critical infrastructure networking platform. Already delivering nearly 23 million devices on five continents as one of the leading networking providers in the market, Silver Spring announced it is doubling the maximum speed of its Gen5 network to up to 2.4 Mbps, increasing computational performance by 10x, supporting simultaneous mesh communic...
Feb. 10, 2016 07:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry's single source for the cloud. Fusion's advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Feb. 6, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 769
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Feb. 5, 2016 09:00 PM EST Reads: 831