|By Marketwired .||
|May 23, 2014 06:37 PM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 05/23/14 -- New York City is hot this coming weekend with winter in the rear view mirror and spring in full bloom. The Big Apple is offering a huge array of fabulous venues and events for you, your friends and family to enjoy this Memorial Day holiday. Today, NYCTourist.com (http://www.NYCTourist.com) announced twenty of the top events, activities and locales just waiting for you this Memorial Day Weekend. So kick your heels up and hit the town... they are:
1. Fleet Week Tour of New York Harbor. - This fantastic maritime display and celebration includes the return of the 2.5-hour tour to discover the military history of New York Harbor during World War II and to honor its memory. Historic military sites included are the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, the Staten Island Homeport, Governor's Island and the Statue of Liberty. You will also have the opportunity of seeing these intriguing historic ships up close. Tickets are specially priced at just $68 per person, and you can save $ with this exclusive online promo code: TOUR5.Visit HERE for discounted NYC Fleet Week tour tickets.
2. Top of the Rock. - The Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to visit world-famous Rockefeller Center and see the entire city in a spectacular view from the lofty observation deck. Rockefeller Center was a gift to Manhattan from John D. Rockefeller as a location for both city residents and visitors to celebrate and admire the city he loved. Location: 30 Rockefeller Plaza (entrance at 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. Hours: 8am to 12 midnight daily. Visit twice in one day with this special promo offer.
3. Hit Times Square and see a Broadway Show -- Check out a crowd favorite, Phantom of the Opera. - Celebrate the 2014 Memorial Day holiday by seeing the marvelous Broadway production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, set in the splendor and intrigue of a Paris opera house. This production is now playing at the Majestic Theatre at 47 West 44th Street in New York. For tickets and information, see this Broadway show page.
4. NYCTourist.com Museum Discount Pass. - Purchase this amazing discount pass before the Memorial Day holiday, and you, your friends and family can enjoy 30 marvelous days of museum entrance throughout New York City's fabulous museums. This pass is now discounted and is free for all children. For questions and more information, see this page for the NYCTourist.com Museum Pass Card.
5. Mets Baseball Game. - If your heart is set on attending a New York Mets baseball game this Memorial Day, it is still possible to get tickets. Be at spectacular Citi Field in Queens for the heights of sports excitement with other loyal fans this year. Location: 123-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Flushing, NY. For tickets, see nyctourist.com/new-york-mets-tickets.htm
6. Memorial Day Concert (no charge). - Monday, May 26 at 2:30pm. Green-Wood Cemetery 500 25th St, at Fifth Ave, Brooklyn, 11232. See green-wood.com.
7. Dinner at Rick's Cabaret New York. - Spend an exciting night out at Rick's, the number one gentleman's club, cabaret and steakhouse in New York City. Whether with a special friend or a larger group, you will get a great introduction to night life in the city at this busy nightspot. Location: 50 West 33rd Street, Manhattan. Phone: 212-372-0850. See nyctourist.com/ricks-cabaret-new-york.
8. South Street Seaport. - What better locale to celebrate the 2014 Memorial Day weekend than Manhattan's South Street Seaport. Enjoy the vast array of shops, eateries and holiday activities while learning about maritime legends, history and ships. For more information, call 212-732-8257.
9. New York Sightseeing, Brunch & Dinner Hornblower Cruises. - Enjoy a fabulous two or three-hour boat cruise along with a delicious buffet brunch or dinner and drinks. You will have a spectacular view of New York Harbor activities and the island of Manhattan from the comfort of your waterside table. Join one of the starlit dinner-dance cruises or choose a daytime schedule for taking great holiday photos and videos.
10. Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Memorial Day Ceremony. - From Friday, May 23 through Monday, May 26, 2014, the museum is offering free admission to this special Memorial Day Ceremony when you pay for museum admission. Experience this moving ceremony along with military officers and members from all five U.S. Armed Forces branches. The event will include a commemorative wreath laying, a 21-gun salute and the raising of a large American flag. The museum is located at Pier 86 at Twelfth Avenue in Midtown West, Manhattan. Contact 212-245-0072 or 877-957-7447 for more information.
11. Sweet Spot Festival. - The Sweet Spot Festival is an annual outdoor party at the West Harlem Piers in Upper Manhattan taking place this year on Sunday, May 25. Enjoy great food and beverages from local eateries and restaurants while taking part in the Memorial Day Dance-Off. Browse through the artisan marketplace and benefit from free yoga sessions. Location: Henry Hudson Parkway (St Clair Pl at W 125th St). Come and enjoy the entire day or drop in for an hour or two of fun and good food.
12. New York Philharmonic at Cathedral of St. John the Divine. - On Monday, May 26, 2014, New York City's acclaimed New York Philharmonic Orchestra will give a free concert for the public at this magnificent cathedral. Music Director and Conductor Alan Gilbert and the orchestra will present a special holiday concert including Nielsen's Helios Overture and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5. Tickets to be available at the event on a 'first-come, first-served' basis, beginning at 6pm. Location: Cathedral of St. John the Divine, 1047 Amsterdam Avenue at 112th Street, Manhattan.
13. Governors Island Family Festival. - You and your family can spend the day on Sunday, May 25, this year celebrating the Memorial Day weekend at the Family Festival on Governors Island. This exciting events features clowns, puppets, music, games, face painting, arts and crafts and much more. Directions: Ferry service is available throughout the day from the Battery Maritime Building, 10 South Street at Whitehall Street in Lower Manhattan.
14. Family Workshop at the Cloisters. - Take the family to a magical program, "In Search of the Unicorn," at The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan during the Memorial Day weekend. In this fabulous world of imagination, unicorns inhabit the woodlands while monstrous dragons lurk around every dark corner. Enjoy the fascinating stories about medieval animals and people while creating your own unicorn or other mythical creature. Location: The Cloisters Museum and Gardens, 99 Margaret Corbin Drive, Fort Tryon Park, NY. Phone: 212-923-3700.
15. Lower East Side Festival of the Arts. - This completely free festival is one of the most unique and versatile holiday celebrations you will attend. For the entire Memorial Day weekend, you and your friends or family can immerse yourselves in all that is avant-garde and innovative in the worlds of modern theater, music, dance, comedy, performance arts, film, video, painting and sculpture. This joyous event celebrates the contribution of all the creative artists who have lived and worked on the Lower East Side in the past. Location: East Village south of 14th Street in Manhattan.
16. Memorial Day Parade. - Come Uptown for the annual Memorial Day Parade on May 26 this year. This parade is in honor of all heroes who have served the United States during wartime. The Manhattan Memorial Day Parade begins mid-morning in Inwood at the intersection of Dyckman Street and Broadway.
17. New York City Public Beaches. - The New York City public beaches officially open this year on Saturday, May 24, from 10am to 6pm. All beaches are available to the public during these hours daily, and experienced lifeguards are on duty. For further information and beach locations, contact the New York City Parks Department: 212-408-0226.
18. The 9/11 Memorial and Museum. - The very moving and meaningful design for this memorial, "Reflecting Absence," by architect Michael Arad reveals a pair of reflecting pools within the footprint of both Twin Towers. Oak trees now stand in place of the the former steel columns of the towers as a living commemoration. Name of the victims of the September 11, 1993, attacks are inscribed on bronze panels surrounding the pools. A visit on to this location on Memorial Day will have a very special significance for many people. Entrance: Albany and Greenwich Streets, Financial District in Lower Manhattan. See nyctourist.com/ground_zero_museum_workshop.htm
19. Empire State Building. - The stately Empire State Building is always a wonderful place to visit during the Memorial Day weekend in New York City. The New York skyline grows more spectacular each time you visit, and you will delight in restored beauty and style of the Art Deco lobby decor. Enjoy the swift ride via high-speed elevator service to the 86th floor observatory 1,050 feet above ground level to relax and take in the panoramic view on the open-air deck. Location: 350 Fifth Avenue between 33d and 34th Streets (Hours: 8am to 2am).
20. Central Park. - Explore glorious Central Park in Manhattan during the Memorial Day holiday this year. Enjoy the open green beauty of Sheep Meadow or take a bike ride to Strawberry Fields, Belvedere Castle, Shakespeare Gardens or Turtle Pond. While there, enjoy a concert, film, theater or impromptu performance. Location: 59th Street to 110th Street (between Fifth and Eighth Aves). For more information, call 212-360-3444.
NYCTourist.com is an authority on traveling to New York City and a one-stop destination website when planning a NYC vacation. Find the best information, read user reviews and find the best deals on attractions, tours, transportation, Broadway shows, hotels and more in New York City. Jamie Carr, editor of NYCTourist.com, enjoys helping travelers plan travel to her favorite city and place in the world -- New York City.
Editor - NYCTourist.com
800 450 7805 ext 10809
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,756
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,648
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:07 PM EDT Reads: 227
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 834
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,397
The paradigm has shifted. A Gartner survey shows that 43% of organizations are using or plan to implement the Internet of Things in 2016. However, not just a handful of companies are still using the old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways, unaware of the critical barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can you become a winner? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will present a methodical approach to guide the holistic adoption and enablement of IoT implementations. This ov...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,531
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 826
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 972
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 777
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 745
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,477
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 29, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,219
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 482
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,413
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
Apr. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,108
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 992
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 835
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 610